Thursday, January 20, 2011

We have been incredibly busy the past few days!  Monday afternoon we left to visit Doi Inthanon.  It takes about two hours to get there from where we live near Doi Saket.  When we got to the top of the mountain it was actually cold enough to see our breath, not thinking about the elevation difference and the resulting change in temperature, none of us were prepared.  We froze.  Despite the cold, we had a great time exploring the chedis and surrounding gardens.  The chedis were built to commemorate the king's and queen's 60th birthdays.  They are quite magnificent.  Inside the queen's chedi are a huge buddha and mosaics; the king's contains another buddha and is decorated with painted gold leaves.  Each is surrounded by a large garden.  They are built on the highest peak in Thailand as a representation of the people's love and respect.  The more something is respected in Thai culture the higher it is placed physically.  The people here really love their king, and his pictures are everywhere as a result. 


While we were in the area we visited some waterfalls and went swimming (further down the mountain where it was warm).  The waterfalls here are so much bigger than any I have seen in the Adirondacks!  It is so amazing what God has created!  
For lunch we went to the coolest restaurant ever!  The tables are on platforms built, literally, on the river.  It give waterfront dining a completely new meaning.  We had roast chicken, fish (cooked in salt, but it did not taste salty at all), som tum (green papaya salad), and sticky rice.  It was all very tender and fresh.  It was very nice not to have any spicy food for a meal.

On Wednesday we started classes.  We have one in the morning (Social Context for Community Development) and one after lunch (Thai Cultural Arts).  They are both very interesting and are forcing me to think about things in many new ways.  It is very interesting to look at the the world from a Thai and/or Buddhist point of view, even though I do not believe the same things, and many aspects are in conflict with Christianity.  I never realized how self centered Buddhism really is.  Even though they appear to be very selfless and giving, it is all part of a merit system with the intent of progressing up the hierarchy chain.  Being that this country is over 90% buddhist, it is very evident how much God is needed here.  However, it is very difficult because buddhism is a very accepting religion and do not understand why they need to get rid of what they believe instead of just integrating Christianity into their current system.  It is a country in need of prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Jaime!
    I think we should get a group together here to come visit you. (i wish!)
    How do you like the "home" life on your campus? And what do you think of the actual transportation and driving and all there? Have you had a favourite meal? Is the food a bit too spicy for you most of the time (noting your "it was nice to not have a spicy meal" comment above...)? What's been your favourite moment and/or experience so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) Your name really confused me at first
    B) Home life on campus is great. Everything is kind of slow and relaxed here (so different from Houghton). In the afternoons we go on bike rides or we can play sports with the Lahu students.
    C) Transportation is really fun. Luckily you can't see ahead of you on sung tows, so I can't really see how crazy the driving is. I can only see backwards. They are really fun to ride on the back of too!!
    D) So far kow soi is my favorite, but I haven't had too many different meals yet. The food is a bit spicy, but not too bad unless you're not paying attention and bite into a whole chili pepper by accident :P (then you will drink 8 glasses of water and still have burning mouth for about and hour). I didn't realize that I was hitting a spice wall until I had a non-spicy meal.
    E)I have had so many great moments so far. I'm not sure what to call my favorite. Yesterday Jordan was trying to put a 5 gallon thing of water on the water cooler and dropped it. He got water everywhere!! Floor, walls, and ceiling. That was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete