Sunday, January 16, 2011

We've Arrived!!

We finally made it!  There were a few times during the 32 hours of traveling that I thought it would be forever before I could say those words.  I praise God and thank all of you who were prayig because in all of our traveling there were no problems and all of our luggage arrived safely. 

When we arrived at the airport we all received beautiful flower ornaments.  They are made of roses and jasmine, so they smell amazing!  We all put them in our room, and it smells wonderful.  The people here are so welcoming and friendly.  Everywhere we go I hear greetings of "sawatdee" which means "hello."  One little girl who lives near us does a wai (traditional bowing sign of respect) everytime she sees us.  It is adorable!

The Go-ED program owns a few bikes, so a few of us explored the area around where we are living.  It was a lot of fun and we actually made it back without getting lost at all.  There are a lot of really neat things around this area, and I could probably spend the whole semester just exploring everything there is around here!!
The main type of transportation the we use here are song tows.  Basically they are basically trucks with seats and a roof on the back.  We can all fit easily in one, and there is room for many more.

It is so beautiful here!  We are surrounded by mountains and rice paddies.  Tomorrow we are going to Doi Inthanon, the highest peak in Thailand.  We will be staying overnight there in a tent.  Hopefully I will have some beautiful sunrise pictures in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment